Here are 8 easy ways for designers to mark their name on the web:
- Blogging- Blogs are available free from Google, Wordpress etc and many paid ones like Typepad etc. Create a blog and do regular posts. Not necessarily textual post, it can be one of your pass time sketch, vector etc. Get comments and discuss on your piece of work.
- Forum participation- Google to get some interesting and well-known sites which allow free forum participation. Here are a few- designerstalk, Graphicdesignforum, Webdesignerforum etc. Register with your original name if possible. People come here for design related problems, new technologies, design techniques etc. Participating these forums can be of great fun. You can even showcase your work and get good feedback.
- Commenting- Without any doubt I can say that you visit quite many blogs or sites every day. Can you recall when you last commented on any post? This is something we often forget to do. Adding a simple comment with your real name and your site link preferably can make you popular. More people read it, more is your name is marked.
- Tutorials- If you come out with some good experiment, pen down that in your blog. Good articles can be bookmarked, digged etc by others.
- Free Graphics- You can make free gif animation, wallpaper, avatars, blog headers etc and post them in your blog/site for public use. If your works are really cool then your visitors will remember your site for sure till they need it again.
- Portfolio- You can create your portfolio and put it up on your personal blog/site. Else you can get many websites which provide spaces for any user’s portfolio. Maintaining an updated portfolio is very important for all these days. Sites like Designdirectory etc are helpful.
- Social networking- This is quite popular already among all in facebook, Hi5, Orkut, Myspace etc. Several groups created by users in the social networking sites every day. People get invitation, join and view the art pieces, thus the group owner becomes popular.
- Others- You can even upload your works in flickr, youtube, Picassaweb etc. Popularize your name by registering under design directories like Dexigner, Designdirectory etc.